Devin,

You'll get some very good replies here, so I'll keep mine short (for me).

First,from what I see here, I think most of us tend to pack alone (there was a long thread on this not too far back).

Second, I think most of us would say it's more important just to get out; go for an overnight, even if it's in your back yard, than it is to find a partner.

Third, I agree that as a first timer, it would probably be a good idea to start with some day hikes until you feel comfortable in the woods, and practice with your shelter, sleeping gear and cooking in your back yard, or a handy state or local park (assume you are in US).

Once you try it in the field, I can almost guarantee two things: When you sit down to a hot dinner, you will realize you are hooked; and that your first night out, you likely will not sleep. But you will be hooked, and the next night (or maybe the third), you will sleep like you never have before.

Fourth, welcome to the forum, just be careful to avoid becoming a "gearhead" like the rest of us. See the gear lists on the home page to get a start on understanding the light weight approach to backpacking.

Best, jcp

Edited by JPete (06/12/11 11:34 PM)