Xring, I still have a faithful Kelty external that I once carried on a thru-hike, but now rarely use (though I still like the way it carrys, and I like it especially in very hot weather (some of which you will no doubt find at Philmont.

To take this as baggage on aircraft, I have a duffle with handles and zippers and padding, which is made to exactly fit the pack. The brand is, I believe, Gerry (which once made a very similar pack--Dr Kelty and Gerry Cunningham were hiking partners). Doubt if it is made anymore, since externals are usually considered dinosauers and do not likely sell in the volume required to support such an accessory. It weighs about a kilo.

I'm pretty sure a boat or car cover shop in your town could make one rather easily (and fairly cheaply).

Don't know when you need this, but if you have a couple of weeks, I would be willing to ship it to you. Answer here, and we can arrange e-mails or pms.

Also, as noted, at some airports, there is a concession that will shrink-wrap your luggage after it has been through security. You may want to check for that.

However, beware of both weight and size restrictions now applied by airlines. Your other option would be Fed Ex or UPS. If you specify ground shipment, you can send stoves and some types of fuel, and you avoid problems with size, plus, I think you can have them (for a price) do whatever packing is required (at least my UPS store will). Best, jcp