>[*]Backpack - 4lb 8oz
>[*]Tent - 2lb 7oz
>[*]tent -footprint - 0lb 6oz
>[*]tent poles - 10oz
>[*]stakes - 10 - 5oz

All of these are on the heavy side. See if you can find lighter but comfortable alternatives. of course doing so can be a bit of an investement. if you're staying low you may be able to tarp it - If you're going up to the higher alpine with less sheltered sites you'll still want something substantial for shelter. My alpine rig for shelter weighs about 2.5 pounds all
in (poles, stakes, etc.) but it's expensive and no longer made

[*]Sleeping Bag (Snowshoe) - 4lb 1oz

Still a bit on the heavy side - if you can find a good 20F or so rated down bag you'll save some weight - of course that's also a money thing

>[*]FAK - 12oz

This is pretty hefty - I'd pare that down to what you are likely to use

>[*]Emergency Fire mat'l - 3oz

I have a spare mini- bic lighter, and an ikea tea light in a ziploc with some dryer lint. it weighs about 1 oz.

>*]GPS - 6oz
>[*]PLB - 11oz

Do you need both? share? Do you need GPS if you are on established trails?

>[*]midweight thermal bottoms, xtra socks, undies - 10oz

I use lightweight thermal bottoms. How many socks? I take two pairs of liners and wool socks. One set to hike in, one set to sleep in so I can dry out (if they got wet) and care for feet at night.

>[*]fairshare mug - 7oz

find a ziploc bowl, or use your pot for this. I take only my little pot, and a tiny plastic cup

>[*]cozy and spoon - 2oz

If you have a fleece hat (toque) I use this, or a sweater, for a cozy - just make sure the outside of the ziploc is clean. use a plastic spoon.

>[*]Sweat towel - 1oz

I don't take a towel - I use a shirt if I need one.

>[*]compass - 3oz
Do you need this *and* a GPS? will you use both (either) on established trails?

>[*]glasses case - 2oz
>[*]contact stuff - 3oz

I ditch my contacts and wear glasses when hiking.

>[*]mosquito repellent & headnet - 2oz

I take about 3/4 oz of 100% DEET (REI jungle juice) even for 7 days in mosquito heck.. applied sparingly the strong stuff goes a very long way.

>[*]sunblock, lotion, toothbrush / paste, lip balm and deoderant - 8oz

I have a 1.5 oz bottle with spray sunscreen. this lasts a week or so for me. I do make sure I have a sun hat and mostly depend on clothing rather than sunscreen. I do take a little lip balm. I don't take deodorant, I'm happy to just wash. I take floss and those little crest over finger" fabric toothbrushes instead of a real toothbrush and paste.

On a related note - but perhaps a sensitive topic - I notice your "peeing stuff" - I probably carry *more* than you for this and I'm a *guy*. If I'm going to be in snow, I'll "wash up" with that - otherwise - I often take a travel thing of baby wipes - the kind you can find in the drugstore that goes in mom's purse - a little plastic bag with 15 of em in it - or take a couple per day in a ziploc. I will wipe, then wash up "down there" with one, and then wash hands with another - especially if in a backcountry campsite with facilities that others use. Personally if I had my choice of carrying that or water treatment to avoid gastrointestinal issues, I'll take the washing gear - and drink untreated water.

>[*]dry bag - sleeping bag - 0lb 4oz
I use a trash bag

>[*]head lamp - 7oz
Owch - going caving? smile I use a petzl e-light - sub 1oz weight

[*]knife - 2oz

It's not rambo - but a tiny little victorinox classic with scissors and a small blade, tweezers, and toothpick does everything I need it to do on the trail for less weight.

>[*]fanny bag - 5oz

delete - use your mostly empty backpack for a dayhike.

>[*]river crossing sandals - 14oz

I suspect these are tevas or the like - those are heavy. Walmart sells croc's ripoffs made in china here for about 6 bucks. since they are cheap they desperately want to use as little plastic as possible in them and they are very puffed full of air and lighter than the genuine ones (they of course won't last as long but who cares) That'll probably save you
almost 10 oz.

>[*]water filter - 1lb 8oz

using aquamira instead will save you about 1 pound 6 oz.

>[*]cooking pot - 9oz

My little 3 cup pot weighs 150 grams or so - so about 5 oz, you're not doing too bad here, but check and see if this is more pot than you need for solo boil and dump type cooking

>Do I need a dry bag for my sleeping bag or will a garbage sack >work okay? Synthetic sleeping bag.

I take a garbage bag. I've gone swimming in rivers (oops) with a garbage bag around my sleeping bag, got to the far side, pulled everything out of the pack and laid it out, and had essentially no water in the sleeping bag at all. shook everything out and continued - the only casualty was my oatmeal in my food bag (which I now put in ziplocs!)

>I thought about taking my summer weight sleeping bag until I >saw the temps in the area. With temps in the 30s at night and >me sleeping cold...

I do trips like that with a -3C (25?) rater down bag that weighs about a pound and a bit - but I sleep warm - and I also have high maintenance princess taste in sleeping bags (meaning my wife complains about how much I spend on them smile

How much does your "summer" bag weigh and what is it rated?
While WD may say you don't need the puffy pants and extra sweater, will an extra night layer with your summer bag keep you comfortable and weigh less than taking the 0 degree bag?
(and are you comfortable sleeping in your bag with clothing on)

For a lot of years my "good" bag was the above, and I would sneak into shoulder season with it with a sweater and extra longjohns - that was lighter than carrying my (crappy heavy) warmer bag and less sleeping clothing. it's all about tradeoffs.

Your other option might be to have along a light overbag or bivy sack with your summer bag - compare how much that weighs to your colder weather bag - both options will add warmth and *might* weigh less.

Of course there's always treating yourself to a down bag at the lovely Fresno REI on your way to yosemite (I bought the only bear canister I own there, then didn't use it wink

Feel free to compare to a recent alpine area trip gear list of mine:
http://bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/whitegoat2010/gear.txt

Edited by phat (06/04/11 01:00 PM)
Browse my pictures