Great point about "self sufficient" vs. "prepared". I always try to read carefully before replying but mea culpa, you're right!

Quote:
"And you are correct, the better question is do you ever depend on the "trail community". I know PCT'ers do, even if simply for occasional companionship, beta, and moral support. Would a PCT'er pack or do anything different if they KNEW that they would truely be solo for the entire trip? Would some of the later hikers even succeed if not for the trail breaking through snow that others do."

Like most thru-hikers, I started the PCT alone, and hiked a lot of it alone, but even then I absolutely benefited from the trail community. It was incredibly helpful to get reports on what snow conditions were like up ahead, and indeed, having footsteps to follow in the snow was often helpful to head for the proper pass. Asabat's water reports were the most important piece of info for the first 700 or so miles, built from individual reports to him (including one of mine). Knowledge of fires ahead was huge, to include just talking to others of the same tribe to figure out solutions. No question that being on that trail with others was a big help. Ditto the Appalachian trail, though less so for me as it wasn't my first long trip.

Prepping now for the CDT, I sort of "feel" the lack of a big trail community, though the one that's there is pretty experienced and helpful. I don't believe I'm carrying anything that I wouldn't carry on a more populated trail; I am starting this trail with another fellow, but he and I both know that we could end up having to split up and need to be entirely self-sufficient.

I think that approach is common among long distance hikers, FWIW --- leverage what benefits you can of others around you (and of course provide such benefits back ...), but always be ready to be on your own. And thrive & enjoy!