No, I would not pack differently, and I omit nothing I need for my comfort and safety. I have found that I can get along without a lot of stuff I used to think was "essential." Examples of what I eliminated: Several changes of clothes instead of the amount of clothing I would wear all at once in the worst conditions I might encounter. A mess kit with plate and cup instead of just a pot and spoon. A first aid kit designed to meet scenarios that have probably a 0.001% chance of happening (if they do, I know how to improvise with what I have). I've found that my dog and I can be just as comfortable in a 26-ounce tent as we were in a 5-pound tent--actually far more comfortable, because in the heavier double-wall tent a lot more condensation got inside the inner tent than in my current single wall tent. And, of course, I discovered Western Mountaineering (resulting in a considerably lighter wallet), so I now take a far warmer sleeping bag for 2.5 times less weight. My insulated air pad is far more comfortable, warmer and lighter than the old 1980's thermarest. My backpack itself is 3 pounds lighter than my old Kelty external frame, far more comfortable and safer (it moves with me, while the old one zigged every time I zagged, throwing me off balance), and its load lifters take the pressure off my pressure-sensitive shoulders.

Not that I didn't run into some "interesting" situations in the process! My attempt at squeezing Hysson (dog) and myself into a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo (nice tent, but not for more than one) was OK when we were there only to sleep, but was quite cramped when we were confined to the tent from 5 pm on by thunderstorms. (phat now owns the tent, and he's still finding dog hair in it.) My attempt at using a NeoAir in below-freezing temperatures was a rather chilling experience. However, none of these got close to the danger line, just into the "uncomfortable" area.

In summary:
--Eliminate duplication (except for spare socks). The big exception here is going out with the grandkids--they take a full change of clothing even though I don't (if they don't get wet, they spill food). Of course, guess who was the one who fell full-length in the mud on our last trip....
--Substitute lighter items for heavier, making sure that they still fulfill their function properly.
--Eliminate items rarely or never used (but don't leave the rain gear home just because it didn't rain on the last trip!)
--Test everything in the back yard or on short trips before taking it into extreme conditions. (Difficult with sleeping gear when you live in a relatively warm climate!)
--Learn (by trial and error if necessary) what you can do without.
--Learn to live more simply, to be less dependent on "stuff."
--Work on learning skills (example: wilderness first aid) so you can cope with difficulties and/or improvise from your existing gear in an emergency. Skills, IMHO, are more important than gear!

If you want to meet unprepared hikers, try hiking in the Columbia River Gorge, where I routinely meet "hikers" wearing high heels, no pack, no water, no food, no jacket, no map or knowledge of local geography.... The only thing I've ever given any of them is a map, but I have answered a multitude of weird questions!

As for the "moochers"--that (in addition to my snail-like hiking pace) is the main reason I backpack either with family (where we coordinate and share gear) or, preferably, solo. Hysson is always willing to mooch, of course, but I don't let him!