Also Olympic NP in Washington doesn't approve the Ursack. You either hang your food if there are bear wires at your site or use a canister if there aren't. On the ONP coast, the problem is raccoons, and the park will allow other types of hard-sided containers such as paint cans. I've been told by several ONP rangers that they want to go to 100% requiring approved canisters throughout the park, but it hasn't yet happened. I've also been told by those more familiar to the park (I'm there only once a year) that some of the backcountry rangers themselves use Ursacks.

In Wyoming's Wind Rivers, you are required (technically) either to hang or to use a container approved by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee. Since the Bearikade folks never applied to them for approval (more of that California-focused thinking), that means I'm technically illegal whether I use my Ursack or my Bearikade Weekender. However, the pics they show of "how to hang" (which I can't find any more since the USFS recently changed their websites nationwide, evidently to eliminate all useful info) would make anyone used to Sierra bears ROTFL. They show a rope thrown over a branch and then tied low down to the trunk of the tree. I suspect the food in my Ursack is a lot safer!

For a trip over 7 days, I go out with 2 Ursacks, one for me and one for my dog Hysson. I haven't yet tried a long trip with bear canister. I know that I can squeeze in 5 day's food for both of us in the Bearikade Weekender because I tried it at home once. I have not yet been on a trip with Hysson that I needed the canister.