"Back in the day" I followed Charles' original site and the original Backpacker mag site. The two couldn't have been more different WRT gear and the general concept of going farther with less. Jardine dropped into the mix sometime back then as well, which was a good thing because most very light gear had to be self-made and he was an early proponant of doing just that.

At the time, the Dana Bridger was a lightweight pack, a Primus titanium stove was $250 and LED flashlights hadn't even been imagined.

I think lightweight is reasonably mainstream now (and the gear is easy to find and mostly cheap) while ultralite remains pretty fringy. PCT and AT thruhikes are commonplace so Skurka has to run laps around Alaska to get anybody's attention. Lightweight techniques and gear make that all possible.

I guess I don't have a point, other than I think understand how this site's unique status has diminished with time due to becoming mainstream. Charles was just right sooner than most folks.

Today, our attention might be best focused on protecting the backcountry we so enjoy from those who would spoil it or even take it away. I'll reserve my right to make fun of folks lugging five-pound sleeping bags in summer, though. smile

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Trailrunner
OT here. I was going to post a response similar to yours Pika....until I went back to the TLB home page and found this:

"The Lightweight Backpacker Welcomes You !

If you engage in backpacking, at some point, you may consider packing a lighter load. That consideration was the main reason that Backpacking Lightweight was created in 1996, and it continues to be its primary focus. Since then, however, the Lightweight Backpacking & Hiking website has grown to include a vast repository of resources useful for year-round backcountry safety & enjoyment. While it is true that Backpacking Lightweight promotes ultralight backpacking & hiking, featuring lightweight backpacking equipment, it is a also a proven resource - for all backcountry travelers - for researching and purchasing quality outdoor gear!! We welcome you, and we hope you will enjoy traversing the Lightweight Backpacking & Hiking website."

That paragraph seems to indicate a change in direction to me. TLB seems to have lost its original focus over the 9 years since I joined. It has gone much more mainstream and indeed the content over recent years indicates that. Is this change good or bad? Let the reader decide.

Is a holster question from a guy who wants to carry 3+ pounds of guns and ammo appropriate for this site? That just doesn't seem clear to me any more. I think TLB (which stands for The LIGHWEIGHT Backpacker) is still primarily a lightweight site but it is no longer an exclusively lightweight site.

I for one lament the change in direction.