Quote:
If I were backpacking "Very Light", bringing only the lightest gear available, and all the latest gadgets, and I ran across Jim out in the wilderness, would he feel inferior? I doubt it. Should I? I see no reason to. If I put on airs Jim would simply dismiss me as a jerk, but if we sat down together and compared styles and experiences, we might both learn something of value.

I would have to agree with you there. I would also have to say I have NEVER run into anyone who looked down at me or put on airs on trial (or off-trail for that matter). One of the things I have very much appreciated about being in the backcountry besides just being out there.

I did have one trip where I was the defacto leader. My philosophy about group trips is the group is supposed to act as a team. So when one guy was acting a little weird about being able to carry a lot of weight, I said good and loaded him up cool. We shifted the weight the second morning of the trip more evenly. That kind of stuff just doesn't matter.