I am glad younger members are posting replies. I backpacked a lot when I was young but have forgotten so much. Plus so much has changed - a 65 pound pack and 5-pound clunker boots used to be "normal", now it is 30 pounds or less and trail runners. I my younger years I do remember that I had a lot of trouble with Achilles tendons- "squeek heel". I wore large climbing boots - now I use light hikers or trail runners and have never had Achilles problems. I also do remember that even if I hurt during the day, I never remember aches at night when I was in my teens and 20's even though I slept on those old hard a rock closed cell pads. Lingering aches may be an aging thing.

When I worked at NOLS we always said if you were hungry, thirstly, cold or in pain, you were doing something wrong. If hungry, then stop and eat; if thirsty stop and take a drink; if cold, put on more clothes; if in pain, solve the cause of the pain. I still think this is mostly true. When backpacking we are free to create many of our conditions. I have noticed that a lot of people are very reluctant to simply stop and take off their pack to solve a comfort problem.