The first backpacking trip I ever went on, my shoulders were hurting halfway through the trip. Between that first trip in December to my next one which was three weeks ago. (the March trip got postponed.) I spent time in the weight room doing workouts that strengthen your core. (if you want a workout list just PM me.) During my last trip, we did over 15 miles with 40 pound pack in one day. (two days totaled with close to 18 miles totaled) By end of the trip my feet were barely hurting and my left knee (which I bruised the week before while biking) was absolutely enraged with me. grin I had to drag it during the last half mile. lol. The next day wasn't that much fun as far as walking went and my collarbone was a little sore, but it went away in less than two days. My left knee was the only one giving me problem. My right knee was kind to me. My core didn't hurt at all. Either the workout program did strengthen it or it the fact I'm 21 and active or a little of both. cool I'll probably pay for it when I'm older, although. We did do some serious climbing and descending, but I'm unsure on exact gain/loss.

I climbed Mt. LeConte over Spring Break with a 25 pound day pack which took me 8 hours to do 14.5 miles. My feet were killing me by the end of the day and my knee joints were hurting too, however, the next day my feet pain was gone and my joint didn't hurt while walking on flat land, but climbing or going down the stairs wasn't exactly a breeze.

I'm still new to backpacking, and I'm looking forward to many miles of smiles and hopefully not too much pain. I'm still going to spend time in the weight room in an effort to keep the muscles active and strong between trips.

Edited by ETSU Pride (04/24/11 10:57 PM)