The pain in the sholders and on the hips seems pretty standard to me also. I feel I have the pack fit down now so at least I don't get wear spots where the top of the hips stick out on my back anymore.

Both my sholders have rotator cuff issues apparently from how loose my sholders are from all the swimming and surfing I have done over the years. Swimming ended up being a serious sport for me for about 10 years of my life. The last four years we were putting on 8 to 10 mi a day depending upon how close a meet was. Surfing took over when swimming stopped; a pretty easy transition. To correct it I have been at the free weights and other exercises. It is very slow going. I still cannot do a pull up without some pain although I can hange off of some bouldering problems now if the I keep the handholds in front of me and don't reach too far ahead.

At 54 I still feel pretty solid for backpacking, although I was having leg issues about 1 year ago. My knees were especially bothersome. I ended up working with a physical therapist who specializes in sports medicine. What she was having me do was something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9aJtO0VCqw

When he talks about being tender, its painfull! But my knees felt better after the first time. After a stiff trek I am stiffer again and it jumps up in pain level. However with the stretching, even my lower back has been affected in a positive way. Well anyway, this has helped increase my ability to do things again pain free (in general).

Edited by skcreidc (04/24/11 08:27 PM)