For me, my feet seem to be my major source of pain followed by pain between my shoulder blades after about 4-6 hours of hiking. I have problems with chronic, low-grade plantar fasciitis and, on occasion, issues with Morton's neuroma. If I tape my feet at the first twinge of heel pain and then take about 600 mg of ibuprofen, the fasciitis is fairly easy to manage. I hiked the JMT a few years ago and never felt a twinge.

The neuroma has become less of a problem over the years. When I was in my 30's and 40's and 50's and a very active climber, it would cause me a great deal of pain; especially when I was cramponing. I suspect that the climbing boots I wore compressed my forefoot exacerbating the neuroma; the crampon straps made it much worse. Now that I wear running shoes for almost all of my outdoor activities I seldom have any pain from "old Mort".

My shoulder pain is worse the first few days then seems to recede as the days wear on.

I am fortunate that my knees do not give me any trouble. I had a torn cartilage once but did it walking down the front steps of our apartment building confused . I don't use poles though I do use a hiking staff most of the time.

I was hit quite hard by a motorist while on my bicycle almost a year ago. I still have some sore spots from that. I have done three backpack trips in local mountains this spring and seem to have survived the accident fairly well. I have a permit for the Boucher Trail in the Grand Canyon for early May and feel up to that. Other than having had an enforced layoff for most of last year and having accumulated a bit of adipose tissue from the inactivity, all is apparently well (crosses fingers): I seem to have recovered pretty well for a guy in his 70's. I have a section hike of the PCT scheduled for this August of about 100 miles and am really looking forward to it.