Yes, women's backpacking clothing always seems to come in my least favorite colors, what I call "bink and burple." I have no idea why the manufacturers think we want our clothing in a color resembling wine vomit.

And then there's black. Just the color I need with a perpetually-shedding blond dog at my side!

Why are nice inconspicuous (less visual pollution) colors like tans, browns, green-grays and blue-grays limited to men's wear? This is true for clothing to wear around town, too! I can wear men's tops, but they don't fit as well. However, for the colors I want, I have little choice. Once upon a time women's clothing came in those colors, but no longer.

EDIT, later: Some other brands of merino wool baselayers include Minus 33 (sells through amazon.com) and Duofold, which has also gone into merino wool. I have no experience with either. For sales, you might want to check out the various outlets listed under "Other TLB Sponsors" in the left-hand columns.

Later still: Found this one (Mountain Hardwear) on Campmor--it's a merino wool-polyester blend. Search there for other good prices.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/13/11 05:25 PM)
Edit Reason: add more info for OP