Going back to the main idea, you're basically saying that weight is not a consideration in terms of enjoying the experience of backpacking. I've always had an enjoyable time backpacking regardless of the pack weight, just because I was "out there". But as I start to lighten my load, I know I enjoy it even more.

The idea that anyone would not get out just because they don't have the lightest gear is just silly. I mean, no one who REALLY wants to go backpacking would not do it just because they didn't have the coolest gear. I've had great trips with heavy loads that were only a few miles. I've also had great trips with heavy loads that were very long. The hike part itself is always less enjoyable than the camp time.

It's not so simple as just "getting out." I think the trail versus the camp time is also a major consideration. For example, my wife is a convert to backpacking. When we first started dating, she loved car camping but had no experience with backpacking. I helped her get some gear and she loves it now. But she will always be a car camper at heart. Our trips are pretty truncated in my mind, but I'm happy she still goes with me. In this sense, just getting out there is probably good enough.

The difference between just "getting out there" and hiking light is one of aesthetics. The more weight I drop, the farther I can go, and the more I can experience. I can get out there with the car campers every weekend, but I won't have the wilderness experience I would have backpacking. I see a lot packing heavy, but how much more could I experience packing light?

The real question here is, what are your priorities? Do you want to hike 15 miles per day to reach an amazing piece of landscape, or do you want to hike 5 miles and camp for a day or two? Both can be enjoyable, but the gear choice is different. It's all about your goals!!! The big three aren't such a factor for shorter trips, but play a part in planning for longer trips. It's too simplistic to suggest a one-hike-fits-all kind of model.

Anyone who wants to hike would not let their gear collect dust. But the gear in question and the trip details might determine where or when they use it.