I use a 2-person tent for solo trips. Since my dog shares my tent, a solo tent just isn't big enough. Actually, I have two of them. However, the two tents are quite lightweight. The Tarptent Squall 2, which I use for short trips because it's roomier, is 34 oz. It was my first lightweight tent. I also use this tent when going out with a grandchild, which is why I kept it. The Gossamer Gear Squall Classic (Tarptent-designed), which I use for longer trips, is 26 oz. It's really more of a 1 1/2 person tent--I'd hate to try to squeeze two adults into it!! A lot of big/tall folk prefer a two-person tent for more space. Really tall folk may need to sleep on the diagonal of a 2-person tent. Many others backpack with a partner part of the time and either can't afford or just don't want to buy more than one tent. There's nothing wrong with any of these situations!

Assuming that you are considering a purchase, you might want to look for something lighter. However, I think the real questions have been posed by Glenn and BZH--are you happy with this tent, and are you willing to carry the weight? Only you can answer these questions!

That being said, when you're shopping for tents, be sure to note the slope of the door. You want to be able to get in and out of the tent while it's raining without any rain falling inside. It's also nice to be able to keep the fly/vestibule door at least part way open in a rainstorm for more ventilation. It's amazing how many tents have an unprotected screen door sloping outward at the bottom to save space!

A few suggestions that came to mind as I looked at the Twilight online: I notice that a gear loft and footprint are included. IMHO, these are unnecessary, so you can leave these home and probably save close to a pound. If you really want to have something under your tent (I never do), a piece of plastic (painters drop cloth or, better, the quite durable but lightweight polycro used in plastic storm window kits) will be a lot lighter than a footprint and work just as well. Just be sure to cut the plastic about 1.5 to 2 inches smaller than the tent floor on each side, so it won't funnel water under your tent. Also, unless you will use this tent for two people part of the time, you really do not need two doors. Consider a model that has only one door.

If you already own this tent, are happy with it and don't mind the weight, though, just ignore all the above. Get out and enjoy it!

There are some great articles on gear selection on the home page of this site.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/07/11 06:38 PM)