Originally Posted By Rick_D
Hi Mr. Paca (love the name). I presume you're not talking about home, Oakland having as close to ideal weather as can be imagined. In what situations and conditions are you experiencing this? Summertime backpacking? Snowshoeing? XC skiing? On the trail? In camp? Fishing?

Hard to know what to "prescribe" without knowing more about the situation.

Al Paca, yeah "Al" is my name and "Al Paca" just kind of stuck as a nick name one day. Possibly do to having lots of hair on my head.

Anyway, Oakland weather is fine it's just when I'm using my hands around camp, on the trail, on my bike and as soon as the weather dips below 50. Considering my usual destination is the Sierra, this can't be avoided even in the height of summer. But yeah, it's usually on my mid-late Spring through mid-Fall backpacking trips.
My focus in a glove would be dexterity and weather resistance because I figured my hands would only really get cold when I used them and if I could keep them dry, I could keep them warm. This led me to a lightly insulated soft-shell but my logic didn't work out so well. I tried several REI models only to be disappointed. I then moved onto a heavier glove and figured I could find a shell similar to the OR Lobster Claw for when the weather went South. I've been using North Face Wind Stopper fleece gloves and figured I'd avoid moisture at all costs but a couple of 30 degree mornings in New Zealand cooking breakfast proved to much for the gloves. With my hands bright red, throbbing and contracting at a snails pace, I said ENOUGH!
So the hunt continues...

There is however very promising suggestions in this thread! The shell mitt and liner combo seem the obvious next route seeing as it's suggested by several of you. Also:
Originally Posted By midnightsun03
You can also keep your hands warmer if you make sure that your wrists are warmer.

I'm not sure why I never thought of this before. Keeping blood warm as it travels from my core to my hands seems like a no brainer! Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely have some research to do w/ all the mitt and glove options put forth.

Thanks guys!!