I spent a year living up in northern wisconsin and with all the lakes, swamps, and small creeks it was a breeding ground. The mosquitos got so bad in spring and early summer you could hear them from inside the house. The early and late season buggers left a welt as big as a quater and they weren't shy or sneaky about biting. But I think the No see ums are the worst of the lot, bug repellant is just extra seasoning to them they swarm and attack in mass anytime you stop moving. If your trying to eat or drink you'll end up spitting them out by the hundreds, while hundreds more attack your ears, eyes and fly up your nose. I've done flyin trips the Canadian bush, been out to montana, wyoming and have lived in Alabama where the bugs get big enough to can carry off a good sized child, and I think the northern forests have some of the worst blood suckers I've found. Although they've done studies on some of the small islands in the florida keys and they figured if your out unprotected at night you could get enough bites to die from blood loss.

I've gotten used to the skeeters they seem to leave me alone for the most part, but I have yet to figure out how to get rid of the no see ums beyond a head net and a smokey fire.