The gaiter and the cotten garden glove tips are great. I am also going to make sure I bring long pants...but I am going to have to go shopping for that.

It's funny how your memory works. Mine seems to slowly come back over a few days when I am really contemplating a topic. Right now I am thinking the deer flys were the worst and that this always occured in the forest/meadow. So maybe we were next to where they were running cattle when we had these episodes and that was what was attracting the deer and horse flys. I distinctly remember the <1cm jet shaped flys being particularly obnoxios.

I also remember mapping Pikes Peak (the Other Pikes Peak (Flint Creek Range) and what you are thinking is what my folks said when I told them we did Pikes Peak). It gets a little above 9000ft or so and we were mapping the geology by what the fallen tree roots had ripped up. So we are in moderately thick lodgpole forest just covered in a large cloud of mosquitos. After about an hour of going up in this miserableness, we just literally snapped and ran towards the cirque on the right. When we got to the edge, there was this beautiful breeze blowing in our faces; we are standing at the edge of an 800ft drop. When we turned around to look back at the forest, it looked like it was in constant motion; just one large mass of writhing mosquitos. I will never forget that sight as that is the most mosquitos I have personally ever seen. We stayed on the edge of the cirque the rest of the day where there was relatively few of these suckers. This would have been near the middle of the trip, maybe mid to late July. There was still snowpack at around 9000ft.

Edited by skcreidc (03/07/11 10:10 PM)