I have used many of the less expensive tents before. Coleman is usually one of the better lower end manufacturers for purposes of functional quality. (i.e. seams are sewn well, windows don't usually leak, they have decent ventilation, the zippers don't break the first time they are used, etc.)
So they are at least functional. To improve the weather resistance set up the tent at home in the back yard and give it a good spray coating of Camp Dry or Scotch Guard. Give special attention to all of the seams. You only need to spray the outside of the tent.
Once this dries, put on a 2nd coat and, again, give special attention to the seams. You don't have to soak them but make certain that all of the seams get covered to minimize the risk of a leak.
For less than $5 you can make your $60 Coleman tent just as leak-proof as a much more expensive model.
I will spray my tents at the beginning of each year. This also allows me to practice setting them up, and helps keep me familiar with tents I don't use very often.