I used the Vapor Trail when it first came out, for about 3 years, and really liked it. It has virtually no feature set, but that's not a problem if you're carrying minimal gear. It is a large pack - if you're carrying more compact gear, you may find that it's too much volume, so take your gear to the store and see how it fits.

It's a very comfortable, reliable pack; I never had any issues with construction or uncomfortable fit (as long as I kept the total pack weight under 30 pounds.) The suspension is full-feature: well-padded hipbelt and shoulder straps, trim tabs on the hipbelt, and load lifter tabs on the shoulder straps. (Some may argue that these aren't needed on packs intended for less than 20 pound loads; I really like having them.) However, it is a fixed suspension pack - if you're a bit too tall or short relative to the suspension, you might have issues with the fit.

If fit is a problem, take a look at the Escape AC60 (I would recommend the Nimbus Ozone, an adjustable VT clone, but I don't find it on their current website offerings - they may have discontinued it.) It weighs about 3 pounds, but has a tremendous feature set and adjustable torso length.

So, if the VT is a great pack, why am I no longer using it? Because a couple of gear changes put my load a touch heavier, and the pack just didn't seem to fit as well as it used to. (It certainly couldn't be that I'm getting older.) I gave away my original VT, and when I finally got my load back down to 20 or 22 pounds, the newer version of the VT didn't fit me right; they might have changed the length of the fixed suspension just enough to throw it off. Like everyone else said, the most important thing about a pack is how it fits with the load you intend to carry.