Hey ya'll,

Ive been snooping around this forum for a while now, and reading a ton of posts on everything lightweight. First I must say that there are some pretty knowledgable folks on this forum and ya'll have helped increase my enjoyment of the outdoors immensely. Now the questions... Ive used what I've read and learned to finally get my packweight, including food and water, down to about 25 pounds for a 5 day 4 night jaunt into the woods. My current pack is a Mountainsmith crux and works great but is a little on the heavy side, weighing in at 4 lbs 8 oz. Im planning on buying a new lightweight pack and Im stuck between the Granite Gear Vapor Trail and Six Moon Designs Swift pack with the padded hip belt.
The Vapor Trail is a little heavier but has a greater capacity and it comes highly recommended from some friends. Also, they have an optional "lid" that goes on top and seems like a nice option. The Swift is very light but the mesh pockets seem like they would get caught on the laurel and rhododendren where I hike in the Southern Appalachians. Plus, I doubt I would use them for storing anything since they're on the outside.
So, my question is...has anyone ever used any of these packs and if so, what are some pros/cons? Is there another pack out there that is great that I dont even know about? The issues Im most concerned about are durability and comfort. since this will be my one big purchase of the year, any and all input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ya'll and happy trails.

Edited by Banjopickin (02/25/11 09:49 PM)