A few years ago, I started using an electrolyte drink mix (Hydralite, formerly Gookinaid, in my case), half strength, in my drinking water when hiking or backpacking. Not only do I feel a lot better at the end of the day, but I don't get as thirsty and my body utilizes the fluid better. Until I started using it, I'd get thirsty and drink a lot of water only to have it go right out the other end, or so it seemed. Using the electrolyte mix in my water also seems to help the familiar female old age complaint known in the TV ads as "overactive bladder." In other words, I don't have to get up so often at night. I like Hydralite because it contains less sugar and salt than many other electrolyte mixes, and has only a slight citrusy flavor. The minerals are closer to the proportions found in prescription oral rehydration salts. Just the smell of Gatorade makes me sick, and the bottled type contains high fructose corn syrup. YMMV, obviously!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/22/11 01:52 PM)