Originally Posted By Vadaar
As my wife puts it, "what happens if you fall off a cliff, are eaten by a bear, or just get sick of being around me and leave me on a mountaintop somewhere? If you've got the bear canister with all the food inside, the first aid kit, and the tent with you in your pack, what am I supposed to do?"

So, what I really think she's asking is: what key/critical items do you guys suggest doubling up on in case of catastrophe, so both of us have them in our packs? Offhand, I was thinking: some means of water purification, a map & compass, a cell phone, and perhaps some sort of shelter (either the tent or a lightweight tarp or poncho). I know opinions are divided on whether you have to carry all your food in your canister during the day to keep odors out of your pack material, but I'd like to hear some opinions as to whether you folks recommend splitting up the food a bit "just in case".

Any thoughts on the topic would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jon

Tell your wife she is smart and wise and thoughtful.

Seriously, I've run into people looking for a missing group member and worried that he/she did not have map, food, water filter....

Pack some MicroPur and a few first aid supplies in her pack, make sure she knows how to use them and a whistle - typical whistle code is one blast = stop, two = come here, three = get your butt here right now I'm in trouble! You can make up your own. Give her food in a ziploc at the beginning of the day's hike. Canisters do nothing to contain odor. In black bear territory in the lower 48, I wouldn't worry about that at all. If you do get separated, the last thing to worry about will be the bear canister. Do you think she'll get any sleep if you're missing? (You'll be missing, of course. She's just temporarily misplaced. smile ) Definitely give her a map and compass and you both should know some basics on how to use them. If she has a poncho that can double as a shelter while you have the tent she should know of course how to set it up.

The other option might be a couple of Bare Boxers - the smallest canister in existence, lighter than all the rest, just $40 apiece.

Do you have a brother? I can't find a guy who can keep up with me. smile

http://hikeandbackpack.com