Good point - and one I assumed was implied (thus proving that what they say about you, me, and assuming is correct.)

I agree that skills and gear are interrelated, and that both have to be evaluated as part of the planning process for any trip. Again, I think many of us have been at this so long that it's second nature to do so. I know I did recently, when I decided not to go on that trip into snow and cold that I determined was beyond the practical limits of the gear I'm using - even though it was an area I've been to a few times, using the same "big 3", but in more moderate conditions.

I guess that when I think about using make-shift gear, I think in terms of two types of people: very experienced folks, who know the limits of such gear, and like it because they enjoy the minimalist aspect, or sticking to a budget (or, in a few cases, very experienced folks who couldn't afford to get out otherwise.)

However, all of those folks at some time fit into the other type: the new hiker. I know that my first few backpack trips (with the plastic-coated tarp, cotton bag, and Sterno stove) were purposely taken in the summer (thanks to advice from another hiker.) Now, for the new hikers I'm associated with, the gear takes a back seat to ensuring that they start with trips that are within their capabilities. Having done that, I can compensate for any gear limitations: if they can't spend much money (or don't want to until they know they'll like it), they can borrow some of my gear and supplement with Wally World tarps, sleeping pads, etc. I'll simply ensure that we don't take our first trip in cold, rainy weather, or try to do high mileage days in tennis shoes and 30-pound packs; I'll design it to be one they can enjoy and feel competent with, so they'll want to go again. (Then I take them to the local outfitter, where the rows of shiny and new lure them to the Dark Side.)

Thanks again for reminding us of a very basic assumption that needs repeating every so often, not so much for our own sakes as to keep us from accidentally encouraging someone to do something foolhardy.