I put a comb and two "Handiwipe" towels (they dry so much faster than the expensive pack towels) in my dog's pack and groom him at night just before retiring. This removes most of the mud and dirt as well as a lot of loose dog hair and any ticks that might be crawling around. The towels (after rinsing if they're muddy) are a multiple use item--I use them to wipe off condensation inside the tent. My dog loves the grooming, too! It keeps his skin in condition, especially under the pack and harness.

I haven't noticed any new "aroma" except the normal "wet dog" odor when it's been raining or Hysson has been wading. Of course I try to make sure he doesn't roll in anything aromatic!

I suspect, or at least hope, that those of you who backpack where skunks may be wandering around in the evening are extra careful to keep your dog leashed or tied up! I'm thinking of a night in central Pennsylvania where I nearly tripped over one on the way to the "facilities"!