The dogs I have now don't go out in the field unless they're with me and Milo (the V) tends to stay away from the llamas so they don't care - he's more interested in birds and rabbits. As long as the dogs keep their distance the llamas are fine - they keep an eye on them though. There have been a couple of instances where I was pretty sure the llamas were going to kill a couple of our other dogs who just wouldn't back off - one was a min-pin and another was a yorkie.

We had an incident with two large dogs (one about 80 and the other about 100lbs) about a year ago that had killed a couple of goats over the course of a week. The goats had gone off away from the herd so were unprotected. I was at home when they made the last attack they ever will. When I got out there the llamas were doing a pretty good job of keeping them occupied and away from the smaller animals. You could hear the thud when their feet made contact with the dogs. The problem with them being in the middle of it was it made it harder for me to get a good shot.

I have also had my butt kicked on two separate occassions by llamas (long stories). The first time I couldn't get out of bed for a day and missed the following day of work. The second time I missed a day of work. They are powerful animals. I'm a pretty good sized guy - 6'4" 2somethingmorethanI'dlike (and a defensive tactics instructor) but these animals are 350 to 500 lbs of muscle and they'll tear you up when they get riled. Most of the time they're very gentle.