The Big Three (or Four, for those who want to include the sleeping pad) are definitely the easiest way to cut a lot of weight fast. They are, however, the most expensive way! They don't have to be, though--there are less expensive substitutes and ways to lighten the Big Three/Four you already have. Examples: (1) "surgery" on a heavy pack to remove a lot of unneeded fancy gizmos (in any case you shouldn't replace the pack until all the rest of your gear has been streamlined/changed/eliminated); (2) switch to a lightweight cheap tarp or maybe just get lighter stakes for the tent you have; (3) buy a 2 1/2 lb. 550-weight down sleeping bag for $130 (Campmor) to use for the 10 years it might take to save your pennies for a top-of-the-line down bag; (4) watch this forum and others for good bargains on used gear; (5) shop thrift, military surplus and big box discount stores, taking your postage or food scale with you.

It is important to remember, though, that the Big Three/Four amount to only half or less of your gear! I recently read a suggestion that if you want to reduce base weight to 12-14 lbs., half of that comes from your Big Four but the rest comes from everything else.

A big chunk of the "everything else" excess weight for many people comes from taking too many changes of clothing, taking items like sunscreen and insect repellents in their original containers instead of repackaging into small containers just the amount needed for the trip, taking too many duplicate items, or just packing stuff that "might" be needed but after a dozen trips has never been touched. The difference is that you're talking an ounce here and three ounces there per item, but all these ounces can add up to many pounds saved! The job is more complex than just spending $$$ on a lighter "Big 4," but it can be accomplished with far less expense. Besides, if you want a lightweight pack, you're going to have to go through this process anyway!

One problem with saying "Go ahead and go out with your 40 lb. weekend pack" is that some of us just can't do it! That's what happened to me after my knee injury, now 23 years in the past. I had to give up backpacking altogether until I discovered this new lightweight gear, mostly from the articles on the home page of this forum. I did start with the "Big 4," except pack, mostly because I was very dissatisfied with the items I had for reasons other then weight, but I had a relatively modest investment thanks to watching like a hawk for sales and closeout items. My pack even showed up on a closeout sale at just the right time!

Above all, though, concentrate on the unneeded/duplicate "non-Big-4" items. You may be able to save 5-10 lbs. right there, enough to enable you to enjoy backpacking even with physical ailments! Also, get out on "base camp" style trips where you're carrying the heavy pack only for a short distance. Base camping a couple of miles from the trailhead (and dayhiking from there) also is a good method for trying out your cut-back "everything else." If it turns out you eliminated too much, it's easy to bail out to your car!

Edited by OregonMouse (01/12/11 05:31 PM)