Quote:
"If you REALLY want to look like a pro, it's always better to have older, well-used equipment on your back instead of brand new equipment sitting in your living room."

And if you want to BE like a pro (who cares what you look like in the woods ...), it's always even better to have the right mix of gear for the conditions at hand, whether older or brand new.

I'm certainly not inclined to take older gear out with me just to "look like a pro". I think that when we focus on how we look, there's too much risk of looking like some sort of jack-ass anyway ... and I can do that just fine without working at it. :-)

For me the right philosophy is one of balance --- on the one hand not putting down the good aspects and wisdom of the ultra-light movement, nor on the other hand of going gonzo to save the last gram of weight. I don't see why there need be any tension between trying to keep pack weight down vs. "getting out there" ?!? It seems like an invented argument, as I can't see anyone taking up the side of "better to buy new equipment than to go out and use it ...".

I certainly have no argument with the "Get out there" mantra. One doesn't need to wear Nike products to "just do it".