January 7, 2011 - Aconcagua Expedition Updates - Camp 2 Established!

Camp 2 (17,700')
John called in this afternoon to report that the team had moved up to Camp 2. The team was walking by about 10AM local time and it took about 4 hours to move from camp 1 to camp 2. Everyone did well on the move and they are now settling into their new home at camp 2. The tentative plan is to carry up to high camp, camp cholera @ 19,400', tomorrow.

A more modest kitchen for the higher camps.
The higher the team gets the more pared down the operation becomes. The winds have been light enough (about 10-15 mph in camp this afternoon) that the team is likely still able to use a small cook tent at camp 2. Once they move to high camp it is likely that the guide will be making all of the food and water for the group in the vestibule of their sleeping tents.

Enjoying the scenery.

Now that the team is getting higher they can start to hone in on the best summit day. We will continue to monitor the weather and give them daily updates. Right now it is looking like Monday would be the first possible summit day based on the team's schedule.

I said in a post on this thread that on my daughters climb they were using a kitchen tent with a chimney now it is back to cooking under a kite tarp and the vestibule. How am I going to convert the world to a little chimney so they can do it all inside?
This is an example of the gear that is used by the climbers.
I think that is my daughter under the kitchen tarp I dont know which one is my son in law.

I ask you with tears in my eyes why carry that kite tarp or tent way up that mountain if they cant use it in the wind?

Edited by chimpac (01/08/11 01:17 PM)