Originally Posted By JimShaw
My weakest link - finding people who are interested in going camping, or climbing. Geez I live in Central Oregon in the middle of some of the best recreation in the country and people are scared to use it.

Jim, that is so true. I won't go into it here much, but I have been feeling the same thing. I'm planning a trip to the Leatherwood Wilderness at the end of this month and you'd think I was heading into the "Heart of Darkness" they way some people react when I ask them along.

People around here hike the same 3 trails. The Ozark Highlands Trail, the Buffalo River Trail, and the Ouachita Trail. They are all great trails I'm sure, but I like to hike off trail.

Lucky for me, I know some younger guys, mostly my daughters boyfriends and a few of their buddies, that will go, and I have a neighbor that will go occasionally too.

One of my daughter's boyfriends, Travis, has been there twice with me. He's a trooper, stuck with me the entire time and loved it. He, and another daughter's boyfriend, Steven, are going with me at the end of this month. Steven should be good too. Both of these guys grew up here and they've rambled in the forests since they were kids. I'm lucky they like to hang out with me wink

I've bushwhacked around here a lot, and the Leatherwood Wilderness is incredible. For the most part, all those 16,000 acres belong to just us when we go there. Guess I shouldn't complain wink

"You want to go where?"