I thought I'd post an update to my own post from long ago. I had a chance to finally go camping with the family. Last year we did make it to my parents farm to camp and it went well. Two weeks ago we ended up getting to Martinak State Park here in MD for some car camping. Only one real glitch, I forgot the tent poles. eek mad Packed them away in the original box but somehow the glue on the side of the box gave up and the poles slid out. Never even checked I was so sure they are in there...won't make that mistake again.

The wife liked it and my two girls LOVED it, they keep asking when we can go again!

Anyway, got a chance to try out several headlamps, some flashlights, the scatter head I made for a flashlight and the Primus Easylight. The Primus lantern work great for area lighting while making dinner and cleaning up plus general illumination for the girls to play but I'd like to have had more light so I got a Coleman NorthStar dual fuel to take next time. The had lamps were great for me, walking out of the campsite to gather some firewood and general use around the site and the flashlights work great too. My scattering head worked excellent too for the tent so the wife and girls could read.

Overall, I'd say a headlamp (mine is a Zebralight H30) would be the way to go for light backpacking as I used it the most and was great for one person use. For car camping and overall site illumination a high output lantern can't be beat.