I hear you there. I grew up cold weather sailing, and outdoors alot like you, and i've been through some walrus-like phases also. So I can handle the cold and wet stuff WAY better than most people I know including the younger and fitter. Still, as I am approaching 50 I am finding I am going to have to get out more regularly if I want to stay well adapted and maintain those bragging rights. Especially when I am working on dropping a few pounds I notice it a little harder to get the furnace going in the morning and at night. Not such a problem in winter camping, because I don't skimp on the bacon when winter camping. Sketchy this time of year when dieting though, which is why I mentioned it. Never a problem 10 years ago, but I've only gotten agressive on the dieting now that I am approaching 50. The two sort of go hand in hand.

I am hoping the cold and wet weather camping and adaptation will help with the dieting though, just as lots of activity helps with the dieting. It can be tricking getting the balance right though, knowing when to refuel and how much. Easy to overdo it. Easy to underdo it also. My left hip is getting sketchy which is why I am really giving the diet a push.

p.s. I am setting up a primitive shelter in the backyard. Hope to get out there sleeping most nights. I've always camped out in the backyard now and then but I want to do it more regularly. My wife keeps the bedroom too warm, and I like to hear the rain and the birds also. We don't have a dog, so I am going to have to build something. I like the backyard because you can really push the limits of comfort and safety because you can always bail out, so its fun to test the limits.