Glenn said
Quote:
Packs normally include capacity by volume (cubic inches) and maximum carrying weight. Volume is pretty hard to fudge

The first of the current series of "state of the market" articles on lightweight backpacks on Backpackinglight (subscription required, unfortunately) stated that when they tested the selected packs for volume, they varied considerably from what was stated by the manufacturers. It was quite an eye-opener!

Backpack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit, so what's comfortable for one person is not necessarily comfortable for others. That certainly includes the amount of weight the pack can comfortably carry. Even "comfortably" needs to be defined: when I tried carrying 37 lbs. in my Six Moon Designs Starlight pack (since discontinued), my shoulders, back and hips felt fine--the pack was doing its job even with several pounds over the recommended maximum weight. My knees and feet, though, were screaming!