Originally Posted By TomD

People who do stupid things put others at risk when someone goes looking for them. Yes, I know, it's their job, but a little common sense could have prevented this from happening.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I stick by my premise-it is irresponsible to leave your friends or kids behind if they are incapable of being on their own. The corollary is that they could spend far too much time and energy looking for you, assuming you are lost.

I agree wholeheartedly, and I think you'd agree with me a lot more if I'd been more clear! I spent a month in AK this summer off trail with one other guy, and we were seldom ever out of sight. Before going into the woods with anyone, I am sure that I can put my life in their hands with confidence. (For a day hike most places, that's just a little too much safety concern for me, but to each their own)

I have vetoed group members before, or not gone on trips with people in whose hands I couldn't trust my life, and won't hesitate to do that again in the future. Some of the scariest moments I've ever had have been the one or two times a group member has been missing (or I have, depending on your perspective crazy ) for a short period of time.

That said, the times my buddy and I were out of sight in AK were usually while one of us was hunting or foraging, and I didn't worry because we always had maps and emergency kits on our person (and I had my SPOT - what a cool device for a long trip).