Hey guys, I need some help. I'm not a beginner, but I live in alabama. All hiking and backpacking I've done is locally and in thick woods. But I am moving near the south end of the Guadalpue Mountains in west texas in january. I will be about a 20 minute walk from the mountains, so I will get to hike every week! I've never been in a desert or anything close to that type of terrain, so I'm lost as to specifics of backpacking it. I would appreciate any tips on what to expect and tips in general for that area concerning terrain, weather, wildlife, anything. I will list some basics I'll carry, but could somebody fill in the gaps with my gear list? Thanks everybody!

Ian

Gear list so far:
Rei flash 30 for day hikes/overnighters
3l camelback resevoir
1 or 2 1l nalgene bottles of water
Gerber prodigy on belt
Victorinox swisstool spirit on belt
Tiny swiss army knife(rally or classic)
Glock 29 or ruger gp100 (I don't know your views, but one of these will be riding with me every time)
50 feet 550 cord
Boonie hat and bandana along with normal clothes
Small 12x binoculars
Small digital camera
First aid kit, including snakebite kit
For overnighters and weekend hikes, a cold steel shovel
Maybe a radio since no cell signal
Led headlamp and a fenix light with spare batteries
Sunglasses
Gloves
Food n bars
All my fire building stuff (I was a scout from 7 to 18 so I'm covered on all the basics, just not the area specific stuff)
Tent and bag if doing overnighter in cold, a poncho for a shelter otherwise
Large trash bag
One or two ziploc bags, one filled with TP
Anything I need to add? First aid kit includes sunscreen abd bug repellent and chapstick
I will be exploring a lot, too, looking for animal sign and indian artifacts, etc. I won't be in the national park often, but in the mountains still. Thanks for your help guy! Any tipes to keep me from getting starved, bitten, stung, lost, dead,etc, would help out a ton, I'm clueless on deserts. Thanks!

Edited by bamarammin87 (09/16/10 02:19 PM)