We (more accurately, My Lady) have horses. While there are trails in this area 'reserved' for equines, I won't take them on back country trails as the damage is just too great. Her llamas are a different story, however, and those that require assistance in moving great loads into the wilderness should consider those pack animals as an alternative.

My experiences with riders in the back country are not good. It started in VA (Jefferson NF?) where a string of riders stopped for a bag lunch...and left the bags and other lunch debris on the trail. Here in my area, I missed a turn and ended up on the wrong trail, an access into the Bob Marshall specifically for packers. I was trying to catch up to a rider/riders to get their directions back to 'my' trail but I was delayed and never did because I kept stopping to pick up the candy wrappers and water bottles that they were dropping frequently during any one hour. On another occasion one packer with a string of mules passed by my campsite...she didn't leave any litter but; 1) she wasn't on the 'equine' trail and 2) she seemed to let her mules stand in the stream for an excessive time with the natural results. And overall I've spent too much time dodging the piles of horse apples on trails and fighting the flys that they bring in.

I love horses. I think they're second only to dogs as intelligent, companion animals. But I'd rather not see them in the back country. They seem to bring out the bad side of their riders.

No offense... wink

FB