Ya know up until recently I didn't realize how different the woods look now than what they must have say in the 1600's or 1700's and downward. Now I knew we clear cut the area (Maine) and I knew the woods were fairly young, my college level of wildlife biology could tell me that, but I didn't realize how different it must have looked.

I was white water canoeing with my buddy along the Machias River from Whiting to Machias, which conveniently is on the corner of my block. It was beautiful, a beautiful day, beautiful scenery, so much wildlife. As we dodged the deadheads and rocks and navigated the rapids, I was taking notice to the flora and fauna around me. There were a few HUGE White Pines that were just not quite perfect for the logging companies, so they didn't cut them down. But I mean these things were huge, among the tallest trees I have seen. Then my imagination wandered. To the times before logging companies and right to the Native Americans who must have took the same route in there rustic canoes. Seeing huge white pines and spruces way bigger than I could imagine. A whole forest of them. I tried imagining the whole place like that. Most of the times I wish I lived way back in the day before electricity and the industrial revolution. Must have been something!