I'm a (self-declared)llama expert 'cause My Lady has six of 'em. grin

Llamas may not need to see a vet but they do have needs. Depending where you are they should receive vaccination against West Nile. They also should be treated for parasites periodically. And usually they need periodic toe clipping. In all of this they're just like horses and all of this can be done by the llama owner if so inclined. Still, responsible animal owners have their animals seen by a vet at least once a year.

My Lady trained three of the llamas to pack. The training consisted of putting a pack on 'em and walking 'em on lead down the road. smile In other words, they were 'naturals.' YMMV To my dismay, I haven't got My Lady and her llamas out on the trail. Even with a very light load two of her llamas could approach 100lbs or more of 'gear'. That would be a whole lot of good eatin'.

Of interest around here is the unproven anecdote that llamas are grizzly repellent. I know of one case where llamas in a Canada camp were taken by a grizzly. Otherwise, most seem to agree that grizzlys don't visit campsites occupied by llamas. One theory is that the bear doesn't recognize the scent and stays away. Of course, this runs opposite the theory that grizzlys are curious... Anyhoo, the anecdotal evidence suggests grizzly stay away from llamas...in general. wink

I would think NP's would have no problem with llamas if the same parks allow horses and mules, e.g., Yellowstone. Certainly, the llamas have far less impact on the trails than the equines. A llama trek in Yellowstone...that's got to be too cool!!

My Lady's llamas spit...at each other. A couple of 'em spit at her...once. She tied a neckerchief around their face and when they tried to spit at her again they covered their own muzzle with the goo. One session with the neckerchief was about all it took for them to understand that you don't spit at the lady that brings the hay.

FB