Hey, Litebear,

Most of the folks on this site are into light or ultralight hiking, so that's the sort of perspective you'll get here.

For warm weather layers (low temps above freezing, highs in the 70s or 80s), I hike in a short sleeve very light wool t-shirt and synthetic shorts with very light wool boxer briefs. (The wool is 150-weight merino -- never stinks, cool when it's warm and warm when it's cool. Not cheap, though.)

For a warm layer, I bring anything from a microfleece zip tee to a down pullover, depending on the expected low temps. For my legs I usually bring lightweight wool long john bottoms.

If it's cool or windy, I often hike in a light (<3 ounce) wind shirt, which makes a surprising difference in comfort, and is much more breathable than a rain shell. For a rain shell, the Marmot Precip jacket is great -- reasonably light, can be had for around $75 on sale, and has some great features. Not so good on breathability, but hey it's only $75. If the weather is going to be cold and wet, I bring rain pants, too.

Hope this helps. Have fun out there.