I'd do two things:

1) Volunteer to be an assistant Scoutmaster for a troop that goes outdoors a lot - and specifically one that backpacks. (I've encountered such troops from North Carolina along the AT at Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands in Virginia.) Be honest with them about your experience and goals. Most troops can use the extra help - even though you don't yet have the backpacking skills, you do represent one more adult that satisfies the two-adult rule, and you are also one more driver. The backpacking skills will come, and these are great folks to work with. As a bonus, you'll also get to know some great adults and kids.

2) Buy your gear, as much as possible, at the locally-owned backpacking store. Hang out for an hour or so when you go in, and get to know the staff. They're a great source of information on gear, and on where to go - most backpack themselves. However, show them the courtesy of actually buying from them when you can. I know the owner of the local store finds it very insulting when he spends a couple of hours with someone helping them fit a pack or learn about a stove or tent, then the person comes back a week later and says, "Oh, by the way, I bought that pack online because it was $10 cheaper." (He has no problem, however, with that person buying something online that his store doesn't carry.)