Trenching is an absolute no-no per the Leave No Trace folks. That being said, I did it once in Colorado when the rain (series of cloudbursts) started flooding into my vestibule towards my tent door. I scuffed the dirt/needles back into the "trench" the next morning and tromped it down, so it was invisible when I left. But sometimes necessity has to override ethics.

After an experience 20 years ago in the Wallowas, I learned the hard way to find a tent site that will not turn into a lake, even if I have to sleep on top of a hump! To me, drainage is far more important than being level. My tent does have a good bathtub floor, but I sure don't trust it to keep out running water.

Condensation can be a big problem when a rainy, windy evening turns into a cold, still late night and you haven't opened up the tent. While one of the horrid things about old age is having to exit the tent several times during the night, this situation does have an advantage in that I can open up the tent for maximum ventilation and wipe down the walls (the latter being important before my dog wakes up in the morning and starts his full-body tail wag routine!). It really helps if you can put the tent under a tree, but of course when (as in the Winds) most of the trees are dead, this is not a very good idea.

In the Wind Rivers or anywhere else at high altitude in the Rockies, it's best to be prepared for nasty weather. As you found out, you'll often get it! Be thankful it didn't snow! I always take gloves and rain mitts.

IMHO, the spectacular scenery is worth it!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/06/10 01:43 PM)