> What pack

When it comes to comfort, the most important factor with a pack is fit which varies person to person. So a pack which is perfectly comfortable for me, might be perfectly awful for you. My best recommendation is to try and find an outfitter who carries a wide variety of packs and try several packs with weight equiv to what you plan to carry. Osprey and Granite Gear are the two mainstream manufacturers that I think make some of the more comfortable light weight packs. There are also some cottage companies like Gossamer Gear, Six Moon Designs, and ULA-Equipment that make excellent ultralight/light packs which include framing elements. Over the years I have tried a lot of packs for my 15-35lb loads. My go to pack for years was a Granite Gear Vapor Trail. A couple of year ago I switched to a Gossamer Gear Gorilla which I have been very happy with. I have written up some additional thoughts on my recommended packs page.

> What tent

Do you plan to go backpacking in the dead of winter (e.g. snow is likely to be encountered) or just the "shoulder" season where snow is possible but unlikely?

If it's just three season I am very fond of "tarptent" style shelters which give decent protection from rain and bugs. My only reluctance suggesting one of these shelters are the memories of several trips where the only campsites available to us became almost like a marsh (standing if not flowing water under our shelter) after a hard rain. Handing these conditions either requires trenching (not a Leave No Trace solution) or a shelter with a highly waterproof bath tube style floor).

You might find my recommended shelters helpful.

> Other suggestions

I have very fond memories of Red River Gorge. Depending on where you are in Kentucky, there might be some spots on WV that wouldn't be too far that are quite nice. I lived in Ohio and didn't find anyplace that was really amazing, though the Hocking Hills was a favorite destination for day hikes.