I have a Kelty Redtail 1800. I also use it all the time, going to the beach, shopping center (I ride my bike and put my bags inside), college books or gear for college classes in the woods (Wildlife Biology major with outdoor labs, gotta love it!). And for the soul purpose I bought it for, a day pack or overnighter. It is great quality. The straps are sturdy and strong, there is a spot for my Camelback bladder, rings on the front to clip stuff on, and on the bottom there are slits so I can tie stuff to it with my mini clip tie things. I also like the side pockets. My water bottle slides in and out perfectly. I also really like the two front compartments. The larger one has a lot of pockets and stuff, perfect for organizing stuff. The smaller one is great for things like my binocs or snacks. There is also a tiny one on top of the bag which lends itself to Ipods or a wallet. There is also a chest strap and waist strap.

My only problem is it is not water proof at all. I got stuck in a very bad storm last year and everything inside was wet by the end. Including my cell phone. I had to get a new one. *shakes fist* I bought a cover.

At first I was skeptical of buying the Kelty just because they seem like the generic brand. But when I thoroughly looked at the pack in the store I was sold.

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Red-Tail-1800-Backpack/dp/B000EX3BP4