I used to carry type typical heavy weight 40lb+ pack (often 60-80lbs) and had a great time... but I have to say that I enjoy backpacking a lot more now that I have seriously cut my pack weight. I don't bother with a base camp anymore, because I have plenty of energy to carry everything with me wherever I go. But you didn't ask about this.

I much prefer internal frame packs.. but I understand some people have a preference for external frame. Kelty has long been a standard for external frame packs. Both the Trek and Tioga are fine, if heavy packs. If you want something lighter, you might want to check out luxurylite assuming they find a new supplier for their frame material. Will be something like 2lbs rather than 5lbs. The recliner accessory for luxurylite works very nicely.

If you are mostly using your shelter solo, then I would stick with a 2 person and be a bit cozy when you have a second person and have a palace on solo trip. I think 3 person, and especially 4 person if you are mostly going solo is overkill. In most 3 season conditions I recommend ultralight shelters made by companies like tarptent, six moon designs, zpack, and lightheart gear. I have found these shelters provide a comfortable living space while being quite light. There are several nice shelters which weight in at around 2lbs.

Not what you are looking for but might useful to challenge your perspective... love my zpack hexamid... good size for solo (creator shared it with his girlfriend... they are clearly friendly :-), weights less than 1lb (shelter, pole, stakes, groundcloth), and is quick and easy to pitch.

--Mark

Edited by verber (07/24/10 02:59 AM)