My first backpacking trip was in the summer of 1942 and the gear was quite different. We had down sleeping bags (probably the last pre-World War II bags available), but the shells were waxed cotton. The tent, a 3-person tent weighing 12 lbs, considered lightweight in those days, was made of long-staple Egyptian cotton, treated with paraffin. There were no hip belts on packs in those days; my parents used tump lines (band around the forehead connected to the pack). My mother, who weighed about 115 lbs., carried close to 60 lbs.; my father carried about 70. I was only 6 years old and carried 5 lbs. Clothing of course was cotton and wool, and a big effort was made to keep it dry. Drying out in front of the campfire at night before bed time was an important part of this process, involving up to 2 hours of standing, turning and waving of wet socks.

I frankly don't miss that old heavy gear; I'd rather have what we have now so I can carry it!

Edited by OregonMouse (07/20/10 05:23 PM)