I love open toe sandals when hiking. Toe protection comes by just buying the sandal about ½” longer.

I started in a Teva Hurricane 2 (which is now a Hurricane 3). Those are fine for backpacking. Just keep the sandal cinched tight when walking, and loosen them up when resting (for the slipper feel). You will probably get a pebble about once/hour but that idiosyncrasy is worth the blessings of sandals:
1. no more hammer toes
2. no more foot rot (aka athletes foot)
3. no more blisters; i.e., heat, moisture, friction are brought under control (I could write several paragraphs on this).
4. no need for camp slippers. Just loosen the strap and they become as comfy as slippers.
5. no heavy footwear.
6. no cracked prune skin; occurs during extended trek through wet marshes.
7. no slowing down the team when crossing rivers. Just plow through the river!
8. no new-shoe break-in period.
9. no shoestring breaks.

Since I’ve moved to a Tera Fi2 (now a Tera Fi3), I have got WAY less pebbles in the sandal. That model uses a different design. It is a great backpacking sandal IMHO. Also, be it noted, that a coolmax sock, worn with the sandal, make the walking experience even more comfortable. The foot stays dryer and blister-free and stink-free with a sock than without. However, there are a few people that don’t need socks w/ their sandals but my feet aren’t that way.

“It's been a while since I've had a pair of Tevas, but I would guess that the sole is good for avoiding pressure blisters/injuries from sharp scree or gravel.”

That is absolutely true. The Teva has good cush (new word) yet provides good rigidity when climbing that mountain. And the foot does not get tired from walking across scree all day. I better clarify that: this is true in a TeraFi2 or 3. The Hurricane is not as rigid so the feet could tire out sooner unless your foot muscles are used to walking 12 hours/day.

“… Chacos… If anyone has any suggestions or experiences please let me know”

My wife and I have tried the Chaco Z2. We could never get used to the big toe squeeze. This past 12 months, and some of it in Spain, my wife has been using the Chaco Z1. She likes the arch. However, for long distance walking and standing, she says her Teva Tera fi2’s win hands down. She says the strapping and softness/cush is much better and they’re easier to maintain/clean.

After a year, she has now switched back to Terra Fi 2’s (now the 3’s).

I’ve also tried a couple dozen sandals and I still prefer the Teva Tera Fi 2’s for an abundance of reasons which I have covered in other posts.

My wife does not use socks, but she will don them when backpacking. I always, and stylishly of course, wear socks with my sandals to prevent blisters, and to keep my feet from burning up in desert weather.

Another reason I like Teva TeraFi2 is because I can wear any thickness of socks--- even a down booty--- without squishing it. Thus I make sure the straps are the right length to handle super thin socks to super fat socks. This makes the Hurricane or Tera Fi ideal for weather from 20F to 120F.

Good luck on your sandal choice.

-Barry