I didn't mean to imply that Patagonia was gone, but many others have disappeared altogether or have been bought out. Patagonia was started by Yvon Chouinard who earlier had started Chouinard Equipment which he sold during bankruptcy proceedings due to liability lawsuits involving climbing gear that put the company under. It became Black Diamond Equipment which still makes climbing and ski gear.

Patagonia makes high end clothing. They don't call it Patagucci for nothing. Overpriced? Depends on what item you are talking about, but I agree, their stuff is pricey. I have Capilene thermals that I have owned for over 20 years. Can't remember what I paid for them, but a bargain at twice the price. I still wear them a couple times a year when I go winter camping or skiing. They make great socks as well. I also have an old paddling jacket I haven't worn in a very long time. Can't remember what I paid for it, but probably not that much otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. Nowadays though, I would be hard pressed to buy anything unless it was on sale.

Edited by TomD (07/17/10 02:07 AM)