I'm in my 70's and have been retired for nearly 20 years. I have made an effort to stay healthy and fit since I got out of the Army in the early 60's and have been at it long enough that my diet and fitness regime are more of a habit than a daily chore.

I have, with time out for injuries and general sloth, maintained a relatively strenuous fitness routine since my army days. My first priority has always been, and still is, to maintain a good level of aerobic fitness. In my active hiking and climbing days, I was out almost every other weekend from late-April through October. I am nowhere near that active now and prefer longer trips when I do get out.

To maintain my aerobic base between hiking and climbing trips, or during the winter, I run, cycle, row or play squash and handball. I have always tried to vary the activity to minimize boredom. I schedule at least an hour of aerobic activity 5-6 days per week. I try to reach at least 75% of my MHR on most days but only 65% of my MHR on the long, slow days. I use a heart rate monitor to gauge my effort.

I have also kept up a weight training routine over the years. My objective here has been to maintain some upper-body strength and to keep my legs strong. I never worked at "bulking up" with weights; I have never seen much point in developing muscles just for display.

Until my recent bike/car accident, I was cycling at least an hour a day, 5 days per week. I was also walking 2-6 miles per day 5 days per week and doing a mild upper-body and leg strength routine with weights 2 days per week. I am currently about half way back to that regimen.

My diet is nothing exceptional. I am not a vegetarian of any stripe nor do I subscribe to raw food or organic-only meals. I try to keep my food fairly low on the glycemic index but am not obsessive about it. I will occasionally eat a bag of potato chips, enjoy it immensely and feel no subsequent guilt.

For over 35 years I abstained from drinking anything alcoholic. But, recently, I have been enjoying a glass or two of wine before dinner.

Because I am prone to migraine headaches, I have to screen my diet to avoid migraine triggers. For me these include MSG and nitrites. Fortunately, coffee does not seem to be a trigger because I am a caffeine addict. I don't need a lot of caffeine but that that I need, I need.

I also take a multivitamin every day.