I once had my entire pack stolen out of the back of my car and was horrified at what it cost to replace the gear. What cost me about $500 when I purchased, cost me over $1500 to replace. I usually wait for a sale to buy, but when you have to buy immediately to replace stolen gear, you pay full price (ouch!).

But if you compare the long-term cost of backpacking vs many other outdoor pursuits, it is reasonable. There is an initial investment, but it is basically free thereafter (I do not count backpack food as an expense because you have to eat whether at home or on the trail). And you can also say that if you were to stay home, you still would be driving the car around and using gas anyway. And like any other sport, there is a wide price range for that initial investment. High end gear may make the trip more comfortable, but low end gear should not stop you from getting out.

I read reviews to get the deatails on design of equipment but then make my own comparison and choice. I tend to be on the tail end of bell curves- what others reject I ofen find very suitable. I love to read "too small, too tight, hideous color" - that gear is usually just right for me!