This is one of my "home" lakes and I recommend it! Tributaries too!!!

There is generally plenty of open water. Plenty of choked green areas too! Pretty much all the green dies in winter. The boat roads generally are open, though. Giant Salvinia is the nasty stuff, water hyacinth too. Fortunately it doesn't stick to the bottom of canoes too well.

You can definitely get lost. Carters Lake is probably the easiest area to get lost in. The area right by the island you camp on is the worst imo. Never spent the night from getting lost but been close.

If you are worried about getting lost get off the lake before dark. It all looks the same when the light gets low, it seems. There are plenty of boat roads and maps are readily available. Even if you go off a boat road in to the woods you usually aren't too far from a boat road, and can get out.

The lower part of the lake from Uncertain to Louisiana is more open and perhaps harder to get lost in. But pay attention.

I usually put in at Mossy Brake, Johnson's Ranch (Uncertain), or Carter's Lake. The state park is very nice but is one of the worst canoeing spots around, since you are stuck on the main channel of the Big Cypress whichcan get crowded weekends in the summer,for a couple of miles.

If you want more info feel free to contact me! Don't forget the tributaries, the Little, Black, and Big Cypress Bayous. Tons of good canoeing in E. Texas!!!